This is a selected bibliography of publications and resources we have found helpful.
First-person accounts of recovery
- Chamberlin, J. (1988) On Our Own, London: Mind Publications.
- Deegan, P. (1988) Recovery: the lived experience of rehabilitation. Psychosocial Rehabilitation Journal, 11, 11-19.
- Barker PJ, Davidson B, Campbell P (1999) From the Ashes of Experience, London: Whurr Publications.
- Ridgway P (2001) Restorying psychiatric disability: Learning from first person narratives, Psychiatric
- Rehabilitation Journal, 24, 335-343. Lapsley H, Nikora LW, Black R (2002) Kia Mauri Tau! Narratives of Recovery from Disabling Mental Health Problems, Wellington: Mental Health Commission.
- Romme M, Escher S, Dillon J, Corstens D, Morris M (2009) Living with Voices: 50 Stories of Recovery, Ross-on-Wye: PCCS.
Understanding what recovery means
- Anthony WA (1993) Recovery from mental illness: the guiding vision of the mental health service system in the 1990s, Psychosocial Rehabilitation Journal, 16, 4, 11-23.
- Perkins R, Repper J (2003) Social Inclusion and Recovery. London: Baillière Tindall.
- Roberts G, Wolfson P (2004) The rediscovery of recovery: open to all, Advances in Psychiatric Treatment, 10, 37-49.
- Ralph RO, Corrigan PW (2005) Recovery in mental illness. Broadening our Understanding of Wellness.Washington DC: American Psychological Association.
- Farkas M (2007) The vision of recovery today: what it is and what it means for services, World Psychiatry, 6, 4-10.
- Shepherd G, Boardman J, Slade M (2009) Making recovery a reality. Briefing Paper. London: Sainsbury Centre for Mental Health.
- Slade M (2009) Personal recovery and mental illness. A guide for mental health professionals, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Recovery support resources
- Tools for Shared Decision Making
- Pathways to Recovery
- Slade M. 100 ways to support recovery. London: Rethink Mental Illness; 2009.
Resources for mental health system transformation
- National Institute for Mental Health in England (2004) Emerging Best Practices in Mental Health Recovery, London: NIMHE.
- Care Services Improvement Partnership (2006) Pathways to Recovery Paper 1. Core Vision and Values for a Modern Mental Health System, London: Department of Health.
- Care Services Improvement Partnership / Royal College of Psychiatrists / Social Care Institute for Excellence (2007) A common purpose: recovery in future mental health services, Leeds: CSIP.
- Sainsbury Centre for Mental Health (2009) Implementing Recovery. A new framework for organisational change, London: Sainsbury Centre for Mental Health.
- Davidson L, Tondora J, Lawless MS, O'Connell M, Rowe M (2009) A Practical Guide to Recovery-Oriented Practice Tools for Transforming Mental Health Care. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Shepherd G, Boardman J, Burns M (2010) Implementing Recovery. A methodology for organisation change, London: Sainsbury Centre for Mental Health.
- Campbell-Orde T, Chamberlin J, Carpenter J, et al (2005) Measuring the Promise: A Compendium of Recovery Measures, Volume II. Cambridge, MA: Human Services Research Institute.
- National Institute for Mental Health in England (2008) Outcomes compendium, Birmingham: NIMHE.
- National Social Inclusion Programme (2009) Outcomes Framework for Mental Health Services, London: NSIP.